Sunday, July 14, 2013

Early morning musings

The dog and I went for a walk this morning.  I hate the summers of my adulthood.  Summer used to be my favorite season when I was a kid.  Of course, I grew up in upstate New York where summers were much milder than in the rest of the country.  Now summer is a few months where I count the days until it is over.  I try to stay out of the heat and out of the sun as much as possible. The humidity is the worst.  It makes me physically ill when it's hot and humid.  So our jaunt outside early this morning was about 30 minutes, just enough time for Lambeau to run in the park with another dog and tire himself out a bit so he wouldn't be so hyper indoors.

I made a pot of coffee for M when I came in.  Poor thing, she really can't function until the caffeine starts flowing through her.  Then I began reading the news on-line. I saw first thing that Cory Monteith had died suddenly.  I think he was 31, not sure.  I remember reading that he had been struggling for years with drugs.  Whether they will be found to be the cause of his death remains to be seen.  I just felt sad.  Sad that he died so young, sad that all that potential would not be tapped, sad for his parents and loved ones.  I now understand the permanency of death.  It's taken me years to appreciate life, even though it's not always a wonderful experience.

I thought how Corey's death is today's headline, soon to be replaced by another, and except for the people closest to him, life will go on, days, weeks, months will go on, then the next young person will die tragically and be the next headline, and it might be mentioned that the current kid struggled with drugs just like Corey who died a year ago, and I'll think, "has it really been a year already?"  I've been noticing a lot lately, just how much time marches on.

I feel like I'm in a period of my life, where time is passing quicker than usual.  The weeks of summer are just flying by for me.  I'm staying busy, there's always so much to do, and it's this business of being busy, that causes me to so focus on the tasks at hand, that by the time I stop and look up from what I'm doing, another week has gone by.  I keep wondering what happened to the long, lazy summers of my youth, that just seemed to drag on, so that eventually you looked forward to the Fall and the return to school to end the monotony of summer.  

Okay, my stomach is telling me, enough of the musings, eat something for breakfast.  Happy Sunday!

2 comments:

CyberKitten said...

V V said: I try to stay out of the heat and out of the sun as much as possible. The humidity is the worst. It makes me physically ill when it's hot and humid.

That's me too! Of course I have (and have had) friends who say - 'don't be silly, everyone loves the summer' and who sometimes have managed to get me out in the heat and humidity. A few hours later when I'm an uncontrollable wreck (with told you so looks) they finally believe me that not everyone likes the summer.

V V said: I keep wondering what happened to the long, lazy summers of my youth, that just seemed to drag on, so that eventually you looked forward to the Fall and the return to school to end the monotony of summer.

I remember summer breaks like that - they lasted for *ever*. Its probably that these days you do have so much more to do (and think about) that you never really get to notice time flying. The days are still 24 hours but you simply don't notice them. I bet you would if you just sat still for a while without being connected or with too many other people. Those hours would drag by - it's all in the perception and perspective.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I find time is going by faster and faster---Here it is, the MIDDLE of July!!! And I don't know how that happened.....
Humidity is the WORST, for me. We used to live in a desert, and NOW, it is more Humid than I ever ever remember it.....OY!

CK, here’s the tattoo

  From sketch to transfer to tattoo