Thursday, September 12, 2013

Journal

I've been totally wasting time today while my students were doing a written assignment in class. Instead of grading other papers while I waited, I kept going through my blog and looking at old posts. I need to find a way to preserve my blog electronically, maybe on a jump drive so that I can keep it for my kids. I've decided it's like my personal journal, a record of the things I did, the way I felt about things, and the people I connected with through my blog. Sadly, I'm not posting as much as I used to, and some of my favorite people, Tshmom, Great White Bear, are no longer blogging. Others I have just lost touch with, DeBambam, and thankfully others who have stopped blogging, I am friends with on Facebook, Michelle, and Melody who still posts occasionally. I have been wondering lately if the blog has served its purpose for me and if I should just shut it down, but then I think, I still want to keep in touch with Naomi, CK, Trish and Wunelle. I still enjoy reading other people's blogs, even if I don't comment very often or very much when I do (CK). The thought of stopping entirely also makes me sad, it's like a chapter has closed, but I don't know where the next chapter is. So, I will keep writing, if only sporadically. I will keep reading, regularly, and maybe even comment on occasion. I don't know if I need to take this blog in another direction, or what. So bear with me through my absences, and then maybe, a sudden burst of writing before I drift off again. I'm still figuring out where I'm going.

5 comments:

CyberKitten said...

I'm still figuring out where I'm going.

As are we all... [grin]

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I agree with ck...i'm still figuring it all out too....I am not on Facebook, and Twitter holds no interest for me---Blogging is still a part of my life even though I am not posting as often. And so very many people have fallen away from blogging, it seems....There is still a core group and I've even met some NEW bloggers in these last couple of years....but people who comment have definitely fallen off....I don't know about actual readers---I've never known how you figure that all out....I will continue blogging, but with my many health issues I am finding it harder and harder....Sometimes all I want to do is REST and watch movies.....According to my Dashboard stats, I have published over 950 posts....that is a lot of writing!!! And I am glad I did. Like you, I feel it is kind of a record of some of my life----in fact, a lot of my life.....And that it is ALL Available for anyone to read is quite wonderful....!
I hope you keep on Blogging, my dear.....you are one of the LONG Time Blogger and Readers....There is something quite comforting about that!

wstachour said...

I've had this little chat with myself a zillion times. I post less and less, like you, but I think I'd really miss the writing outlet if it were gone. I began by keeping a personal journal, and eventually decided that it was better for me to funnel my thoughts into a forum that was at least suitable for public consumption. But I wonder if I wouldn't write more if it was just me on my computer. I think I avoid things for fear of being repetitious, but why should that matter?

One of the things I most love about blogging is that you can make it exactly what you want it to be. I've thought about trying to print out the archives--I think I'm near to 1,000 posts now--since this could all eventually disappear. But I don't get past the thinking-about-it stage.

I've been sucked into FaceBook, which seems easy and immediate. But it's a REAL time-suck, and can feel almost like an addiction. I've closed my FB account several times, but I eventually open it back up again. As you say... we're all figuring this out!

Lucinda Blithe said...

Keep posting. You know better than to ever mention stopping.

VV said...

Bill, we're so much alike. I also got sucked into FB, also closed and re-opened the accounts. Don't really want to be there, but all my friends and daily events end up there. *sigh* If you ever move beyond thinking about printing out your blog, let me know how you do it efficiently. I'm thinking about copying and pasting into a word format so I can print it without pages cutting off.

CK, here’s the tattoo

  From sketch to transfer to tattoo