Thursday, February 28, 2013

Writing in spits and sputters

I am in a weird place these days, stopping every so often to go places, do things, make time for stuff, as the mood and the moment strike me. Because I've mentally allowed myself to follow wherever whim takes me, I find myself writing more frequently. I'm not saying the quality of my writing is getting any better, only that I'm getting back into it. I've been regularly accepting the challenge of NPR's 3 Minute Fiction contests they do every few months. Basically they give you a prompt, or a scenario and you write something to go with it. Since I've begun allowing the right side of my brain more leeway, it's been popping up and mouthing off on occasion when I least expect it. The below is an example.

 I walk by this friend's office daily. She has a picture postcard taped to her door. It's Emily Dickinson and the caption reads: "Dwell in Possibility." Every time I walk by it I am reminded how much I love Emily's poetry and how I need to make time to read more. One day last November, while walking by this door yet again, I reminded myself of that need to read and write more, only on this occasion that "Dwell in Possibility" poem popped into my head, followed immediately by an urge to write. I've often taken Emily's poems as prompts and inspiration to write and below is what came of that urge. First is her poem, second is mine.

 

I dwell in Possibility--
A fairer House than Prose--
More numerous of Windows--
Superior--for Doors--

Of Chambers as the Cedars--
Impregnable of Eye--
And for an Everlasting Roof
The Gambrels of the Sky--

Of Visitors--the fairest--
For Occupation--This--
The spreading wide my narrow Hands
To gather Paradise--

Emily Dickinson #657

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I dwell in Possibility –
The unknown a gift –
Outcomes unpredictable –
Continents adrift –

Lifetimes overlapping –
Knowledge without end –
Flying through the ages –
Belief does not depend –

Standing at the door –
Lifetimes taken up –
Unknown the length before us –
Before the interrupt –

11/13/2012 
KS

2 comments:

CyberKitten said...

Nice poem (by you presumably?)

VV said...

The second one, yes. The first was Emily's.

CK, here’s the tattoo

  From sketch to transfer to tattoo