Thursday, October 31, 2013
M has been insisting, for oh, about 3 years, that I fix the gargoyle and get it back up on the roof.
I've had best intentions year after year, but never got around to it.
This year I did it, with the help of a friend. The poor gargoyle had been chewed really badly by mice. Add to that, the chicken wire he was formed with was starting to fall apart.
His neck, both wings and a leg were broken. I would need to strip him down to the wires and re-build him. That is not a quick or easy task, thus me putting it off for years.
So this year I re-wired his broken appendages and put a piece of PVC pipe in his neck to reinforce the chicken wire. The problem is that chicken wire isn't that sturdy and once you add on layers of newspaper, plaster and paint, the form starts to sag.
I started writing a novel almost two years ago, not knowing where I was going with the idea, or even if I would have the wherewithall to fin...
Our beautiful old home is an architectural style known as American Foursquare. These houses were popular from the 1890s to about...
We recently took a trip back to my hometown in New York. This isn't my picture (there was snow on the ground when we went) but it's...