Saturday, September 6, 2014

If at first you don't succeed

I decided to dig out my sewing machine today, I've been working all out as usual and decided I needed a little creative play time.  I'm still learning how to sew, but in my own way.  I look at pictures of items I'd like to make and then I do.  I don't use plans or patterns.  I don't measure, just eye ball it. I'm a firm believer in, "if there's thread on the bobbin and spool, use it until it runs out."  So often the thread I sew with doesn't match what I'm sewing.  It's not hard to change a bobbin or thread a needle, so I don't know why I resist. All this often leads to less than stellar results, and sometimes products that are nothing like what I planned to do.  Today was one of those days.

I planned to make a tote bag like I've done before, only this time I thought I'd put a flap on it so things wouldn't fall out if it tipped over.  Because I really wanted a full peacock front and center on the bag from the patterned fabric I had, I cut the sides bigger than I normally would.  I thought it would be fine, I was wrong.  The bag was so big that it was too big to be a purse or tote bag, so I turned it into a messenger bag.  I tried again and this time got the purse sized bag I was going for.

I put a Velcro closure on the outside flap, and a keychain loop.  Inside I have a zippered pocket on one side and a Velcro pocket on the other side.  









This is the messenger bag.  There's just a zippered pocket inside.



2 comments:

Larena said...

really cute ! I can't sew by pattern very well I used to chuck them and go on my own....Dusti, now she can sew, shes seldom used patterns. I need the pattern to get the pieces right then I can put it together usually on my own! lol!

VV said...

I think I'm understanding the spatial aspects of sewing better by not using patterns, making mistakes, and figuring it out on my own.

For CK the book lover