Saturday, November 15, 2008

2008-2009


Okay, I'm making this official declaration, the Spring of 2008 through the Spring of 2009 is my official Year of Politics. Between getting involved in the national election for the Obama campaign, and getting involved in the 1st District race for Congress in Maryland for Frank Kratovil, and now today, we've just helped launch the Mayoral race for a friend of ours, Jim Ireton, we will be devoting our spare time and money to elections. We were very successful in the first two and have high hopes of success in the final one. We have fund raisers to plan, door-to-door campaigning to do, brochures to design, and the work will not end. Another friend is running for re-election to the City Council and we'll likely be working on yet another friend's campaign for a seat on the City Council from a different district.

On the one hand, this is all very exhausting, on the other, it's very exciting and I don't feel so helpless in the direction my country, my state, and my community are heading. I'm doing everything I can to change the direction we've all been going in for far too long. At the launch of our friend's Mayoral campaign, a friend came up to us and said, did you hear about the Prop 8 Protests? I hadn't and she told me there would be protests all over the country starting at 1:30. She wanted to know where the protest would be in our town. I hadn't a clue, but on the way home from the mayoral event, there in front of the hospital were a group of 20-30 young people with signs and flags and I laid on my car horn, waving and hollering for them as I drove by. I am so glad so many people are finally getting out there and standing up for what they believe in.

2 comments:

tshsmom said...

You're right! It will take a LOT of helping hands to turn this country around.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Good for you, my dear...! And I know you will be working very very hard!
There have been a lot of protests here about Prop 8, and this is not going to go away. People are hopping mad about the passage of this Prop terrible terrible Proposition.....Mad and disappointed. But a lot of that energy is going into positive things to fight it.

One thing I have never understood about almost all the Propostions that are put on the Ballot, every year----YES means NO, and NO, means YES.....It really makes it terribly difficult. And I swear, they do that on purpose!!

CK, here’s the tattoo

  From sketch to transfer to tattoo