Sunday, August 16, 2009

Morning People?

Are there any morning people out there? You know you're a morning person if you automatically wake up around dawn without an alarm. You know you're a morning person if you can't even remember what sound your alarm makes because it's been so long since you've heard it, always waking up before it goes off.

I don't know why I keep farmer's hours. I always have and as much as I like the idea of "sleeping in" it really drives me crazy when I do. I feel like I've wasted a good part of the day. I just can't help it.

Early mornings are when I have ALL my energy about me. By 2 in the afternoon, I'm useless. So when I get up early (6ish) I usually quietly go about the business of cleaning house, cooking, doing yard work before it gets too hot, that sort of thing.

This morning when I got up just after 6, I went out back and cleaned off the deck. I watered all the plants and shrubs, on and around the deck. I took the clippers and went out back and pruned back the raspberry bushes that had once again, taken over the back side of the garage. Then I weeded out the grasses in the brick pathway I'd made.

Next I cleaned out a cooler that had been sitting on the deck for a couple of weeks. Melted butter and rotting chicken are not pleasant things to clean. Next I started a load of laundry, unloaded the clean dishes from the dishwasher, loaded the dirty ones. I cleaned old food out of the refrigerator and the cupboards, I made two quiches, a spinach one and a pesto one. I folded laundry, made coffee for M, all in under 2 hours.


After breakfast and a quick perusal of the Sunday paper, I watered all the plants on the front porch, then M assisted me while we put another coat of drywall plaster over the sheet rock that her brother had put up. He covered the exposed chimney in our bedroom because it made our room hot in the summer and freezing in the winter. The chimney stuck out a bit, so we were plastering the surrounding walls to come outward to meet the new drywall.


After showering, going out for lunch, picking up groceries for a cookout tonight, I came home and made a blueberry/peach pie. Okay, it's 1:45 and I think I'm done for the day. Does anyone else do this? Is this a trait of morning people or do night people do it too, just on a different schedule?

10 comments:

tshsmom said...

Sisters once again!

The kids at work, who can't make it to work by 1pm because they overslept. drive me CRAZY! They can't believe that I've NEVER slept 'til noon...not even if I'm sick.

I really enjoy my peaceful mornings, alone, on my days off. I can accomplish sooo much before my guys get up! My family are all nightowls and can't understand my love of the morning.

VV said...

I love the quiet in the early morning just before the birds start chirping. I love the slant of light creeping over the horizon. It's just gorgeous.

tweetey30 said...

Me to usually but not when I have been up all night and trying to get to sleep.. Life is so different here now with the new job.

PENolan said...

I'm a morning person too. Love the cool quiet, and my energy generally good. I try to have a long nap in the late afternoon which means I tend to stay up late too since I get another burst of energy about 10:00pm.
It's the best of both worlds if you can swing it.

I can't say I do much baking, however, and gardening is limited on a terrace in NYC

Anonymous said...

Now you know am not a morn, person when in high school I failed general science twice, because it was scheduled for 7:30 am, one has to wounder what are they thinking. Now as a farmers wife, he gets up around 5/ 4 days a week (the days he has markets, other wise think he sleeps until 6:30. My alarm clock has been ingnoring him, but as soon as he shuts door to leave about 5:30. My eyes pop open, I do not know why, sometimes will just lay there and ponder, nothing more, can not wait until end of October when this is over for the year. But that said, I hate mornings, would much rather stay up untill 12-1 am. and sleep till 8, maybe on Sunday. Second shift people still have to do most of that stuff, or different stuff, just do it on a different schedule. I really like it when every one has gone to bed, and If I want to watch some stupid tv show or lifetime, it can be done without commentary from the man gallery. :)
p from ny

OldLady Of The Hills said...

LOL, LOL....Oh My Lordy! I'm exhausted reading about your Sunday...lol!
I am a "NIGHT" person....I get so much more done, at night, creatively speaking.....I was born at 3:25 AM....Maybe that really means something...lol...But it sounds like EARLY DAY is your time!

BTW: Here is a link to the post I did about "GREY GARDENS" the Documentary and The Movie, in April, 2009....
http://sitteninthehills64.blogspot.com/2009/04/grey-gardens.html

CyberKitten said...

I *so* don't do mornings! Then again, these days, I don't really do evenings either.....

If I had to get up suddenly on an early moring I'd either walk into a wall or throw up. It's just the way my brain is wired.

VV said...

OL, thanks, I'll go check it out.

CK, by all means, set up a video camera and then get up early one morning, I bet it'd be a YouTube hit! Just kidding. M recently got up dizzy and did literally bang into walls all the way to the bathroom. On the one hand, it's funny, on the other, the mother in me thinks, "you poor baby." :-)

maeve said...

Well listen to you Miss Productive!!!! AND that pie looks and sounds YUMMY!!!!!! I am not a morning person, but if I am at the beach I am up at dawn!!! Love the sunrise over the ocean!!

VV said...

I did a puff pastry for the top crust and it was very yummy!

CK, here’s the tattoo

  From sketch to transfer to tattoo