Saturday, October 24, 2009
Preparing for the onslaught
It's almost that time again, decorating, candy, costumes. I remembered last year, the gargoyle we made, two years ago now, didn't survive a year in the basement very well. The flour and water paste we used on the newspaper for its papier mache body had disintegrated a little bit. Also the fall from the roof when we took him down put some heavy-duty cracks in his leg and wing. I knew to check it earlier this year and anticipated some repairs. Man! The holes in that monster were bigger and more wide spread. It looked like a flock of moths had gotten to it. They hadn't, our basement is dark, cool and dry. Still, I had my work cut out for me.
This time I chose to use a watered down drywall paste to make the papier mache with and repair the gargoyle. I worked on patching his wing and repairing his leg. This so far is looking pretty cool. It's giving the gargoyle a harder shell and making him more stable. It's also making him heavier. I left him in the garage overnight to dry. I'll find out today if the weight of the drywall paste on his wings was too much weight or not. Next I have to patch some spots on his belly and underside of his neck, then when he's dry I can spray paint on that gray flecked paint that makes him look like stone. I'll post another picture when he's done.
Getting it short in anticipation of warm weather and more jogging, it grows fast and will be long again by next winter.
Our beautiful old home is an architectural style known as American Foursquare. These houses were popular from the 1890s to about...
I am including pictures with this post, they are not of me, but of some other poor soul who suffered from the same thing. So 9 days ago, I ...