Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Recession or Life as usual?

I saw an article on the CNN website today. It said shopping at resale shops (think Salvation Army and Goodwill) was up 6-15% which was a good indicator we're heading into a recession. Well if that's the case, I'd like to know where I've been living my whole life. CNN Article

I have always shopped at Goodwill and Salvation Army, in addition to yard sales, junk stores, and a big shout out to my all time favorite second-hand store in the world - Quattlebaum's of Conway, Arkansas! I've never been able to shop for everything at retail stores or at the mall. I always wondered how people could afford to shop retail and how they could afford a new wardrobe each season. I've always wondered if I was doing something wrong in my life, because I've never been able to afford to live like that.

My daughter has grown up shopping for clothes at Goodwill and discount outlet stores that sell seconds and rejects from the big retail stores. Besides clothes, I've bought dishes, silverware, pots and pans and furniture from these second-hand sources. I am the Queen of finding discount furniture and the thrill of the hunt for that great bargain never loses its appeal for me.

But now I'm wondering, if all these "normal" people are now forced to shop second-hand because of the recession, where does that leave me? Will I find even cheaper places to shop? Will I cease to shop entirely and go back to darning socks and mending clothes and just make them last longer, oh wait, I already do that. I'm a pretty good darner as a matter of fact, even if my family thinks I'm nuts for doing it.

But the bigger question is, for those of us already living within our means, which are fairly modest, where does that push us on the food chain of this consumer society?

5 comments:

tweetey30 said...

Good question. I like our Goodwill or St. Vincent Depauls store. I can get the girls each new warddrobes and not spend more than 30 dollars usually. But when we go in everything is cheap so we end up buying used books too and yarn when I find colors I like. And so on..

tshsmom said...

Good question; where DOES that leave us? It won't be long before our family runs out of things to cut back on.

Our Salvation Army Thrift Store closed its doors last year. It was operating in the red, and that's against their bylaws. :(

It took SME 4 yrs to find the 2nd-hand stores in Edmonton. Now that she's found them, she's content.

At least we raised our kids to survive this economy. ;)

Larena said...

it leaves us working harder and harder to find bargains. I am worried about the next step, what if our food chin fails ? do you have the knowledge or space to grow your own food ? do your children know anything about gardening ? my kids know some but not much, and their kids know even less.
on a happier note have a night on me this weekend K- have a bubble bath and relax I will have a glass of wine for you, and one for M, and one for......:)

VV said...

My daughter knows more about gardening than I do. M has her own garden, but I doubt/hope it won't come to that.

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen you have learnt your lessons well, there is something to be said for those of us who, really know how hard it is to s t r e a c h our monies. And what to do to survive. And we will, maybe not how we might invision things but
John and I were just talking about, just what a lost art it is to garden, or perserve food of any type. There was a young mom at our church, who was telling how diffucult life was her husband lost his job. We had day old corn, and some other veggies, we thought we would donate, so she could put them in her family's pantry, and at least would help. She looked like we both had 2 heads, no clue as to were to begin, and end, As well as she did not want to be taught. There are a lot of folks that are going to be in a world of hurt. It is sad. Would like to think that our daughter, has enough background to garden if needs be. I really thank God that John talked me into lettting him get an outside wood furnace, not sure what we would do if we had to heat with fuel oil. My favorite thrift shop is still The Open Door Mission, or a yard sale. Laurena, do you remember, they have remodled some, and charge some more, but still.

CK, here’s the tattoo

  From sketch to transfer to tattoo