In our first post on the kitchen remodel you said: "Hanging a range-hood is NOT fun...trust me! Can't wait for the next installment!"
Well, the bastard is hung, after weeks of issues, pounds of sweat, and minor blood loss. I would have to say, "NOT fun" is a gross understatement and you REALLY should have warned us! *wagging finger*
This one corner of the kitchen was left undone in case we needed to get into the wall for the electric. Now we can finally finish the wall. The issues we encountered were: a microwave/fan combo will not fit, return that item. A simple hood fits, but will we be able to exhaust outside or go with self-venting?
After cleaning a wasp's nest out of the old vent and poison all over me, the existing vent was too far over to vent this fan. Okay, onto self-venting. We did all the prep on the fan and were ready to hook up the electric. We called over a friend who had done this before and none of the wires in that wall had power and he couldn't figure out the problem.
Next we called an electrician. The wiring in the wall was old and disconnected in the basement years ago, so we needed to run new lines. That done, now time to hang the bugger. No amount of measuring and placing the screws so we could simply slide it into place would work, so of course we'd have to do it the hard way and hold it in place while trying to put the screws in. The screws ended up being too short, the aluminum of the hood bent easy when trying to tighten the screws, and the screwdriver was too short to fit into the 2 inch area where the screws needed to be tightened on one side of the unit.
Next I made a trip to the hardware store for longer screws, wide washers, and a mega-long screwdriver, now onto installing. Taking two people to hold the monster in place while putting the screws in from underneath, and continually slicing my hands, knuckles and fingers on the sharp edges of the metal, the hood was finally firmly affixed to the cabinets above. Hooking up the wiring then took just seconds, and voila! It worked. Good thing too, otherwise it would have become a mangled projectile of aluminum as it flew through the kitchen window.
On a much cheerier note, I have begun to decorate the kitchen, hanging metal pieces to tie in with the iron drawer pulls and cabinet knobs.
Here are two cast iron trivets I hung on the side of a cabinet. They look much better here than hiding in a drawer. So we're down to 4 remaining items to finish in the kitchen, (1) touch-ups on the lights/ceiling, (2) install shoe molding, (3) install cabinets/crown molding on top, and (4) finally finish wall by stove. We already cut and painted the wall to the left of the stove and only need to put it in place. The wall behind the stove needs to be patched, then the overlay wall can go into place. At least the hardest work is now all behind us. *sigh*