Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Movie Review - Sorcerer's Apprentice

M and I went to see The Sorcerer's Apprentice late this afternoon, early evening. Yeah, I know, it's a Wednesday, but I had a rough, hyper-busy day and was in need of an alternative reality. I was not disappointed. The film stars Nicholas Cage as master sorcerer - Balthazar, Alfred Molina as a formerly good sorcerer gone bad, aka Balthazar's archnemesis - Maxim Horvath, and Jay Baruchel as Bathazar's apprentice - Dave.

Now you might remember the Mickey Mouse segment of Walt Disney's animated classic, Fantasia. Only one small segment of this movie has any similarity to that animated feature, and that would be the apprentice's disasterous attempt to make the mops and brooms do the cleaning up, and it all goes awry. Everything else about the movie is original and I thought was a very good story, with great special effects.

The movie begins back in ancient times when Merlin the Wizard and Morgana are battling it out. The only one left standing is Balthazar. I won't tell you what happened to Merlin, Morgana, or the other two apprentices, that would spoil the movie for you. Anyway, after that beginning, we follow Balthazar through the centuries as he searches for Merlin's replacement. He finally finds him in modern day Manhattan. The child is only 9-10 years old, not ready to conceive of being a sorcerer when all hell breaks loose for about 2 minutes. Then everything is on hold until ten years later, when Balthazar finally catches up with that child destined to be Merlin's replacement, that would be the apprentice - Dave. Jay Baruchel plays Dave, nerdy, bumbling, sweet, a guy who slowly finds himself and a girl. Well, I don't want to give it all away, but the end of the movie, and few parts in between are cool battles between good and evil sorcerers, climaxing with the greatest battle at the end.

If you're a child, you'll likely enjoy this movie. It's definitely rated-PG, there's no cussing, no nudity, and no inappropriate adult content. The sorcerers' magic might scare some really young tots, but other than that, it's like a good amusement ride, fun, fast, a little scare here and there but a great ride overall. That said, I really enjoyed the story, the special effects, and I found the character of the apprentice, highly likeable. Good job Jay Baruchel! Oh, and Nick Cage doesn't disappoint either. So be sure to go see this movie with your favorite nerd.

3 comments:

tweetey30 said...

I have seen this one on the commercials. Was wondering if its worth putting on our netflix que.. but the girls have been asking about several movies lately that are coming out.

Larena said...

will netflix it when it comes out ...hope you are having a better Thursday ! almost the weekend !

OldLady Of The Hills said...

It's weird--these kinds of films have absolutely no interest for me. I'm not exactly sure why, but they just don't excite me in any way.....I would have to wait for the DVD anyway--I can no longer go to "screenings", etc...But I'm happy you liked it and that you recomend it, too!
There is nothing like a movie to help one escape the tensions of the day....It is still, for me, a most enjoyable experience...!

CK, here’s the tattoo

  From sketch to transfer to tattoo