Sunday, July 17, 2011

Update

I have completed the sanding down of the night stand and the bookcase.




















I primed both pieces.













I finished a second coat of paint on the night stand, and am waiting for the bookcase to finish drying so I can put a second coat on it. Notice the afghan in the picture? I was trying to match the red paint to that color. I think I got pretty close. While I'm waiting for the bookcase to dry, I have to prime and paint the bedroom door. I sanded that down earlier as well because it had a tendency to stick and made it very hard to get out of the bedroom on humid days.









I'm getting closer to my Swedish bedroom inspiration, but I'm going to have to hold off on refinishing the floor and whitewashing the built-ins because we're meeting M's sister & her family in NYC at the end of the week and then they're all coming back here. So I will have the room as put together as I can by today, but then hold off on finishing while I clean the rest of the house get beds ready and do laundry, plus work the rest of the week. Back to work!


(Further Update)

So here's how it looks for now. I have to wait to refinish the floors and whitewash the built-ins. My glass knobs for the built-ins and the nightstand aren't in yet, so I still have a white knob on the nightstand.
















I can't make it to IKEA for a few weeks yet to get a chair. I'll probably put one of our spare recliners in that corner and cover it with a red bedspread in lieu of a slipcover.


















I have to get more do-dads for the shelves above the bed and hang the Star of Odin I purchased from a craftsman on Etsy.





Oh, and I had to use a miter box and cut shoe molding all around the room. That was stressful. Overall, even though it's not finished completely. I am liking the way it's turning out. What do you think?

10 comments:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

It looks BEAUTIFUL!!! You have done a fantastic jon, my dear...
CONGRATULAtIONS!!!!!
I don't know how yoou do ALL that you do...!

nbrsspot.blogspot.com said...

Its looking great VV.. Love the look you chose for her. I think she is going to love it when she comes home. When does she come back? Or is it more she comes home for a vacatioin now and again with the job she is doing?

VV said...

Thanks Naomi.
Tweety, she comes back to visit on the occasional weekend. I've been sending her pix while I've been doing it. She's excited to see it finished.

Anonymous said...

Very nice. It's so cheerful!
Pat

Larena said...

it is turning out lovely !

Knock knock - it's cancer! said...

Ohh, I love it. It's sooo pretty. And girly.

You have done a great job!!

PS - sorry I've been gone so long. I've posted now :)

nbrsspot.blogspot.com said...

its great that you are doing this for her.. I wish I had a home that was permanent when growing up and having my mom redo my room like you are hers. You are the greatest mom..

VV said...

Michele, glad you're back. We missed you!

Tweets, my daughter would laugh at me being called the greatest mom. She said I was very critical as a mom, I say she was too critical of my parenting skills. :-)

nbrsspot.blogspot.com said...

Alright then you are better than my mom..LOL.. I will adopt you too then.. Want to come redo my room while you at it too?? LOL>. Only picking..

VV said...

Tweety, if I lived closer, I'd be all over redecorating for you. It's an obsession for me.

CK, here’s the tattoo

  From sketch to transfer to tattoo