Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Are you kidding me?!

So I'm sitting at my computer screen, eating lunch, taking a break from grading and reading CNN when I happen upon this story.

Apparently, this picture was on the recent issue of the Mexico Playboy magazine. It offended a number of people for portraying the Virgin Mary in a seductive manner. So Playboy issues an apology: "the cover was not meant to portray the Virgin Mary, despite being printed just days before the Feast of the Immaculate Conception and the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe -- both Catholic holidays centering on the Virgin Mary." I think they should have also added, "the virginal looking woman, drapped in a cloth reminicent of the Virgin Mary, holding a classical pose of Mary, in front of a stained-glass window, with the caption in front of her: Te Adoramos Maria (We adore you, Mary)" is just a coincidence.

Gosh, we never thought anyone would mistake our Playboy model for the Virgin Mary. "The image is not and never was intended to portray the Virgin of Guadalupe," -- which is the Virgin Mary -- "The intent was to portray a renaissance-like mood on the cover." Okay, I believe you. Do you have a bridge in Brooklyn you want to sell me too?

3 comments:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

LOL, LOL...Yeah! That and some Swamp Land in Florida, too!
Are they kidding???

That girl said...

You know, there are people dying of hunger and cold down the street...I really don't give a rat's a$$ if it's Mary or not.

I'm just sayin'. In the grand scheme of things, is this what we need to be concerned with at Xmas?

By the way, I've totally missed reading your blog :-) it's been way too long.

tshsmom said...

Why don't they just suck it up and admit that they're being a bit irreverent? I really think that most guys go straight for the centerfold rather than looking at the cover. ;)

CK, here’s the tattoo

  From sketch to transfer to tattoo